Special thanks to reader, James Brown, for his contributions to this article.
- Open the Firefox "config" page: click into the Firefox address location bar, and type about:config, press Enter.
- The "Config" file will appear in the Firefox browser as a page with hundreds of lines of code in it. Now, we start by enabling some advanced tabbed options:
- Locate the line browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs . (tip: press "b" on your keyboard to quick scroll).
- Double click on browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs . This will set its toggle to "true". Now your advanced and enhanced tabbing should be set.
Note: in Firefox version 1.5, the command line is singlewindow.openintabs.
- Next: we will increase the "pipeline" RAM ability for Firefox to accomodate more packet transfer. In the same config document, scroll down to the line that says network.http.pipelining . Double click this line to set it to "true".
- Lastly, we will increase the maximum pipeline requests to 100. Find the line that says network.http.pipelining.maxrequests. Double click on it, and a dialog box will pop up. Change the setting from 4 to 100.
- No need to save this file. Simply close and restart Firefox, and you should see an immediate 10% to 40% increase in web page transfer speed, and faster opening of your tabbed windows! Enjoy!