1. Technology

Online Culture: Understanding the Internet Experience

By

Both the Internet and the World Wide Web are exciting and enriching daily experiences. Work interests, family interests, hobby interests, general knowledge, specific academic research, socializing... there is something for everyone on the Net and the Web. About.com will help you learn this online culture, and the rules of conduct of being a good Internet user.
  1. Best of the Web: Sites Worth Seeing for Yourself
  2. "Netiquette": Internet Etiquette, Acronyms, and Abbreviations
  3. The Strange Language and Culture of Internet Users
  4. Social Networking
  5. The Invisible Web: The Billions of Pages Not on Google
  1. Family Internet: Where Can I Go For Safe Family Content?
  2. Dating and Socializing Online: What to Expect
  3. The Dark Side of the Internet
  4. How Do I Protect Myself from Hackers and Thieves Online?
  5. eBay and Online Shopping

Best of the Web: Sites Worth Seeing for Yourself

In a world of billions of web pages, there are some standout sites. About.com recommends these sites for various reasons... please do browse these links and see why we have chosen them as memorable.

"Netiquette": Internet Etiquette, Acronyms, and Abbreviations

In any community, there are unsaid expectations. In the digital online world, people expect a base level of politeness and etiquette. About.com explains some of the aspects of "Netiquette" and network etiquette here...

The Strange Language and Culture of Internet Users

The world of Internet culture, and Internet messaging, is truly confusing at first. In part influenced by gamers and hobby hackers, conduct expectations do exist on the Net. Also: language and jargon are prevalent. With the help of About.com, perhaps the culture and language of digital life will be less daunting...

Social Networking

"Social Networking" is about starting and maintaining friendship communications through websites. It is the modern digital form of socializing, done through web pages. Users will choose one or more online services that specialize in groupwide-communications, and then gather their friends there to exchange daily greetings and regular messages. Although not the same as face-to-face communications, social networking is immensely popular because it is easy, playful, and quite motivating. Social networking sites can be general, or focused on hobby interests like movies and music.

The Invisible Web: The Billions of Pages Not on Google

As powerful as Google is, it does not index everything on the world wide web. In fact, Google indexes less than 10% of the entire web! That remaining 90% is called the "Invisible Web", or in other words, "The Cloaked Web" or "The Deep Web". This is the massive content that is publicly available, but hidden from regular search engines.

Family Internet: Where Can I Go For Safe Family Content?

Here is an ideal handbook for parents! Learn about family-friendly content, parental controls, censorship, and how to cultivate a positive kid-friendly Internet experience at home and school.

Dating and Socializing Online: What to Expect

Millions of people use the web and the net every day. Many hundreds of thousands of those people have made online friends and lasting romantic relationships through their computers. Relationships formed online have become not only legitimate in many eyes, but they are outright successful for many people. About.com explains...

The Dark Side of the Internet

In an online world of millions of people, you are bound to have bad guys and dishonest individuals. The tough part is that they can know deceive you just by knowing a little more technology than you do. But don't fear: About.com wants to help you see when you are being scammed or attacked by a dishonest internetizen. And we want to help you defend against these bad boys of the internet.

How Do I Protect Myself from Hackers and Thieves Online?

While there is no such thing as true 100% protection, it is possible to achieve 99.9% security online. Your bank account information, credit card number, emailbox content, eBay login... all of these things can be protected if you know how to combine good password habits with a skeptical "anti-phishing" attitude, and some good protection tools. About.com explains...

eBay and Online Shopping

Buying, selling, and trading online is big business. This section introduces the new internet trader to this ecommerce world, and provides intermediate power tips for successful selling and safe buying.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.