Online Culture: Understanding the Internet Experience
By Paul Gil
- Best of the Web: Sites Worth Seeing for Yourself
- "Netiquette": Internet Etiquette, Acronyms, and Abbreviations
- The Strange Language and Culture of Internet Users
- Social Networking
- The Invisible Web: The Billions of Pages Not on Google
- Family Internet: Where Can I Go For Safe Family Content?
- Dating and Socializing Online: What to Expect
- The Dark Side of the Internet
- How Do I Protect Myself from Hackers and Thieves Online?
- eBay and Online Shopping
Best of the Web: Sites Worth Seeing for Yourself
In a world of billions of web pages, there are some standout sites. About.com recommends these sites for various reasons... please do browse these links and see why we have chosen them as memorable.
- Websites That Will Make You Smarter
- The Most Addictive Websites
- StumbleUpon.com: a Smart Alternative to Googling!
"Netiquette": Internet Etiquette, Acronyms, and Abbreviations
In any community, there are unsaid expectations. In the digital online world, people expect a base level of politeness and etiquette. About.com explains some of the aspects of "Netiquette" and network etiquette here...
- The Famous Netiquette Quiz, Level 1
- The Famous Netiquette Quiz, Level 2
- Emoticons and Smileys, 101
- "Should I Correct Other Web Users on Their Spelling?"
The Strange Language and Culture of Internet Users
The world of Internet culture, and Internet messaging, is truly confusing at first. In part influenced by gamers and hobby hackers, conduct expectations do exist on the Net. Also: language and jargon are prevalent. With the help of About.com, perhaps the culture and language of digital life will be less daunting...
- Text Talk: Modern Text Message Acronyms Worth Learning
- The Top 30 Internet Terms for Beginners, 2013
- What is an Internet 'Meme'? What are some examples of Internet Memes?
- What is 'BTHOM'?
- What is 'Chixor'? Is it the same as 'chix0r'?
- What is 'pwned'?
- What is 'OATUS'?
- What is "BISLY"?
- What is 'Clown Shoes'?
- What is 'O RLY'?
- What is 'IBTL'?
- What is '1337'? Is it the same as 'Leet'?
- What is 'MTFBWY'?
- What is 'PMSL'?
- What is 'NWT'? 'NWOT'?
- What is 'OTOH'?
- What is 'MEGO'?
"Social Networking" is about starting and maintaining friendship communications through websites. It is the modern digital form of socializing, done through web pages. Users will choose one or more online services that specialize in groupwide-communications, and then gather their friends there to exchange daily greetings and regular messages. Although not the same as face-to-face communications, social networking is immensely popular because it is easy, playful, and quite motivating. Social networking sites can be general, or focused on hobby interests like movies and music.
The Invisible Web: The Billions of Pages Not on Google
As powerful as Google is, it does not index everything on the world wide web. In fact, Google indexes less than 10% of the entire web! That remaining 90% is called the "Invisible Web", or in other words, "The Cloaked Web" or "The Deep Web". This is the massive content that is publicly available, but hidden from regular search engines.
- "What is 'The Invisible Web'?"
- The Invisible Web Directory: Gateways to Get You Around
- Diagram of the Invisible Web
Family Internet: Where Can I Go For Safe Family Content?
Here is an ideal handbook for parents! Learn about family-friendly content, parental controls, censorship, and how to cultivate a positive kid-friendly Internet experience at home and school.
- Start Here: Parent's Guide to Family Safety
- The Best Web Sites for Kids
- The Internet Public Library: Excellent for Kids and Grownups
Dating and Socializing Online: What to Expect
Millions of people use the web and the net every day. Many hundreds of thousands of those people have made online friends and lasting romantic relationships through their computers. Relationships formed online have become not only legitimate in many eyes, but they are outright successful for many people. About.com explains...
- How To Date Online
- Find a Safe Online Dating Site
- How to Write Your Online Profile
- Why You're Not Getting Responses
- The Top Online Dating Sites
The Dark Side of the Internet
In an online world of millions of people, you are bound to have bad guys and dishonest individuals. The tough part is that they can know deceive you just by knowing a little more technology than you do. But don't fear: About.com wants to help you see when you are being scammed or attacked by a dishonest internetizen. And we want to help you defend against these bad boys of the internet.
- Spyware-Malware 101: Understanding the Secret Digital War of the Internet
- Online Scams: What Phishing and Email Scams Look Like
- The Top 10 Internet/Email Scams
- How Hackers Hack
- What Is 'Scareware'?
- How Do Spammers Get My Email Address?
- What is Spamming 'Ratware'? How Does Ratware Work?
How Do I Protect Myself from Hackers and Thieves Online?
While there is no such thing as true 100% protection, it is possible to achieve 99.9% security online. Your bank account information, credit card number, emailbox content, eBay login... all of these things can be protected if you know how to combine good password habits with a skeptical "anti-phishing" attitude, and some good protection tools. About.com explains...
- First: You Must Make Good Passwords Part of Your Daily Life
- Secondly: Expect "Dust Bunnies" and Small Nasties to Get Onto Your Machine
eBay and Online Shopping
Buying, selling, and trading online is big business. This section introduces the new internet trader to this ecommerce world, and provides intermediate power tips for successful selling and safe buying.
- eBay 101: a Beginners Introduction to eBay
- The Top eBay Beginner Mistakes
- eBay: Do's and Don'ts for Beginning eBayers