Hackers, Scammers, and ID Thieves: Protect Yourself Against These Online Crooks
By Paul Gil, About.com Guide
- The Checklist: How to Lock Down Your Computer
- Identity Theft: It's More Sophisticated Than You Think
- Online Scams: Phishing, Spear Phishing, Whaling, Spoofs
- How Hackers Hack
- Viruses and Spyware: What Are They? How Do They Work?
The Checklist: How to Lock Down Your Computer
Here are the essentials for building a secure home network and protected PC or Macintosh for your web surfing
- The Three Security Basics of Home Computing
- 5 Steps to Lock Down Your Windows XP
- An Introduction to Wireless Network Security
- Computer Security 101
- Help! I Think I've Been Hacked!
- Spyware and Malware: What Beginners Need to Know
Identity Theft: It's More Sophisticated Than You Think
It's not just credit card fraud anymore. Modern identity theft has evolved to much more than a quick five hundred bucks. Modern identity theft is now about long-term and carefully plotted capers that achieve large long-term payoffs, and dump the unpaid bills in your lap. Modern identity thieves will plan to take vacations, get themselves jobs, setup phone and utility accounts, or even sneak illegal immigrants into the country, all on your dime with your name on the papers.
- Identity Theft 101: How It Happens
- What Is 'Identity Theft'?
- College Identity Theft: a Growing Problem
- Ten Ways to Defend Against Identity Theft
- What Is 'Spear Phishing'?
- Dumpster Diving: They Will Rifle Through Your Garbage
- Phishing Email Scams: What They Look Like
- What Internet Scams Look Like
- The Top 10 Internet/Email Scams
Online Scams: Phishing, Spear Phishing, Whaling, Spoofs
Here they are, revealed: the con games of the Internet. These scams prey on your ignorance, tug your heart strings, and promise professional services, while secretly swindling your account numbers and passwords. Don't get suckered by these convincing emails and Web pages! Take ten minutes and see what Internet "phishing" and email cons really look like.
- What Phishing and Email Scams Look Like
- What Is 'Spear Phishing'?
- Test Your Anti-Phishing IQ
- What Is an 'Email Spoof'?
- The Top 10 Internet Scams
- The Latest Internet Hoaxes
- What Is 'Ratware'? How Does Ratware Work?
- What Is a 'Pump and Dump' Investment Scam?
How Hackers Hack
At the core, hacking is pretty straightforward: identify which computers have holes, enter those holes, and take control. The technical details are the challenging part. About.com explains some hacking and phreaking techniques here. Please: use this knowledge for good...
- "What is a 'Hacker'? Is that the same as a 'hax0r'?
- Hacker Attack! How It Works...
- How Hackers Hack.
- Hack Firefox to Make It Faster!
- What Is a 'Social Engineering' Attack?
Viruses and Spyware: What Are They? How Do They Work?
Viruses are self-reproducing little programs that will sneak onto your computer. Viruses usually steal your passwords and private information, or they will outright vandalize your computer and cause irreperable damage. About.com explains...