Firefox 1.0.x browser is an excellent product, but it has the flaw of allowing popup windows through when you install plug-ins. Even the native Firefox popup blocker is insufficient to stop all popups. But now there is a hand-coded way to stop ALL popup windows in Firefox.
Time Required: Two Minutes
- Click into the Firefox location address bar, and type: about:config , press enter.
- A page of code will appear in the Firefox main window. Right-click on this page, and choose New, Integer from the shortcut menu.
- In the preference dialog box that appears, type privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins , spelled exactly as is typed here.
- Another dialog box will appear asking for a "preference value". Type in a value of 2, and press enter.
- A new line will appear at the bottom of the config document as a "user set" entry. This code line will now disable all popups
- Some other values to note:
0: Allow any popups from plugin software.
1: Allow popups, but limit them to dom.popup_maximum.
2: Block all popups from plugins.
3: Block all popups from plugins, even on web sites added to your white list.