Question: How Do You Play Music in Ventrilo Without a Second Computer?
PC gamers and Ventrilo users: it is very possible to play music in Ventrilo from your gaming computer, while maintaining your full Ventrilo voice communications. Yes, there are other techniques that employ a separate 'music bot' computer, but this proven method only requires your single Windows gaming machine. The method below also utilizes dual instances of Ventrilo and some helpful audio-routing software.
This Vent music-streaming technique is based on two major outputs:
- the DJ keeps his own Vent user login for his voice communications, while
- a second Ventrilo user (the 'jukebox') handles the music streaming into the Vent server.
The real beauty of this setup is that it gives all vent users the power to adjust/mute the music volume separately from the sender's voice. This is invaluable in MMO raiding, where some people prefer silence while others enjoy the music.
The setup below requires approximately an hour of configuring and testing, but the results are definitely worth the time investment. The complexity involved with this is approximately the same complexity as wiring a new television to a DVD player.
Requirements to Play Ventrilo Music with a Single Computer, Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Vista :
- Winamp music player.
- Virtual Audio Cable (this is music routing software, available as trialware or purchased for $30).
- DSEO bypass of Windows Signed Driver policy (a benign method for permitting the 3rd party VAC software to run on Windows).
- Tweaking of your Ventrilo shortcut to enable double ventrilo copies
- At least 2GB of memory. Ideally, 4GB.
- Approximately 1 hour to install, configure, and test the setup
- Ideally: double monitors, so you don't have to alt-tab from game to choose songs
Visual Step-by-Step Guide:
Detailed instructions here